History and directions of the genre
This genre originated in the XVIth century and finally entrenched in the painting of the XVIIth century. Paintings at the dawn of the direction formation illustrated the mortality of being and the finiteness of life, and the main objects were human skulls. This allegorical genre of painting of the Baroque era is called vanitas (vanity). In the future artists used other images of "frozen life" — household items. The artworks indirectly characterized the owner, conveyed the atmosphere of life of various social strata and demonstrated the realism of the world of objects. In the XVII-XVIII centuries even a poor European house was often decorated with a still-life oil painting, especially often it could be found on the wall of the kitchen or dining room. During the development of the genre, stylistic features also changed: from romanticism there was a transition to impressionism, and the world of things played a particularly important role in the work of post-impressionists. In the XXth century, still life paintings were created by abstract artists, modernists and cubists.
The genre "still life" in French sounds «nature morte» and is translated as dead nature. Still life paintings depict inanimate static objects, such as:
- dishes and kitchen utensils;
- fruits and vegetables;
- flowers and other plants;
- tools of people of various professions;
- hunting rifles and trophies.
Flowers and fruits in still life
Floral still life became a highlighted genre of painting in the middle of the XVIIth century in Holland. This country is still associated with immense flower fields, and in those days, almost all residents were engaged in gardening. Therefore, Dutch floral motifs were in unprecedented demand and many guests of the country wanted to buy a still life oil painting with flowers. A common practice was the image of plants that bloom at different times of the year in one vase.
Food began to appear more and more often on artworks of creators in the century before last. Still life painting with fruits is one of the most important types of academic painting to this day. In such works artists combine simple fruit shapes with smooth lines of jugs or bottles and flowing silhouettes of fabrics.
How to choose a still life painting for kitchen
Still life paintings look most organically on the walls of dining rooms and kitchens. Although, the aforementioned vanitas can be found in classical libraries and hunting paintings – in living rooms and country houses, traditional subjects usually decorate rooms where food is cooked and served.
Choosing a painting still life in the kitchen should begin by determining the correspondence between the style of the interior and the style of the painting. For a kitchen in a classic style, empire or baroque, an impressionist oil still life is suitable. For boho, provence or country, you can choose a plot with notes of romanticism. Art nouveau or abstract art will look good in a modern interior. A realistic still life will fit into the Scandinavian-style kitchen or minimalism.
Still life paintings in the Struchaieva Art gallery
In the online store of the Ukrainian artist, Alla Struchaieva, you can easily choose and buy a still life painting that will be the highlight of your interior. We offer the following benefits to customers:
- Providing legal rights for the paintings. You will receive not only a painting, but also enter into full ownership with the ability to exhibit the artwork.
- The quality of the used materials. To create the paintings, German woolen canvases, durable stretchers and expensive oil paints are used. The paintings do not fade and retain their original appearance for many years.
- Careful delivery. We monitor the packaging carefully before shipping and make photo and video reports for customers. Art lovers from any country can buy the painting, and we will send it with a suitable delivery service.
- Convenient payment and clear prices. You can pay for your purchase through a payment service, according to the bank details or upon receipt. If the price does not suit you, you can purchase a print of the selected artwork, and we will print the painting on canvas or photo paper for you.